Apollo Bay Tennis Club
After an absence of over 30 years, the Apollo Bay Tennis Club is registered to play in the Polwarth District Tennis Association. We're back!
Apollo Bay Rec. reserve was established in 1868 by John Cawood Snr with the oval being built by a number of working bees in 1879.
Apollo Bay Tennis Club dates back 134 years to 1886 when “The members of the Tennis Club entertained Dr Campbell at afternoon tea at the court on the eve of her departure to be married to Mr Asheley of Ballarat” (CH 12/11/1886)
In 1902 M.Riordan sought permission on behalf of Apollo Bay Tennis Club to erect tennis courts on the foreshore opposite Colonel Heath’s house (where the 9th fairway is now) but sadly there was an objection.
By the 1920’s the current tennis club room had been built and there were two courts in use with 28 entries to the 1926 tournament.
By the 1930’s there were three courts.
In 1936 the Carter Cup was donated by Captain Carter. Winners in 1936 were Hilda Cawood (ladies) and JJ (Jack) Farelle (gentlemen) with many Cawoods, McKenzies, Telfords, and Costins winning over the years. The Cups are in Apollo Bay Museum.
In 1977 (when the roads had improved) ABTC entered the Polwarth League for the first time but dropped out ten years later in 1987 although an active social tennis comp has continued since then.
Anyone wishing to play or support Tennis in Apollo Bay as we embark on our next 130 years please:
Join our Facebook group Apollo Bay Tennis Club.
Google ‘Apollo Bay Tennis’ to find our page on the community website
Turn up to social Tennis every Monday@ 9am and Wednesdays @ 2pm (check Facebook for weather updates)
Many thanks to Apollo Bay Historical Society for their treasure trove of historical info and pictures – visit 2-5 on weekends at the Old Cable Station. Also to the Colac Herald for the quote from 1886.
Thank you to Graham Costin for the photo of Joan St. John & Les Costin (circa 1950s)